Ireland nominates Fergal Gaynor for election as ICC Prosecutor
Press release09 February 2021
Ireland has nominated Judge Fergal Gaynor for election as the next Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The Prosecutor of the ICC is a key position within the Court, heading the Office of the Prosecutor, which is responsible for investigating and prosecuting individuals for alleged genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in circumstances where States are unwilling or unable to hold the perpetrators accountable.
Speaking about the nomination, the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Simon Coveney T.D., said:
“I am very pleased to nominate Judge Fergal Gaynor for election as the next ICC Prosecutor. The ICC needs a strong, experienced and effective Prosecutor who will exercise sound judgment and lead the ICC in the coming years. Judge Gaynor combines experience of civil and common law systems, strong management skills and an independent and principled vision for this vital role. I believe he will make an excellent Prosecutor.”
Ireland is a committed supporter of the ICC, which is a central element of the framework for international criminal justice and accountability. The term of the current Prosecutor, Ms Fatou Bensouda, ends in June 2021.
9 FEBRUARY 2021
Notes for Editors
- The election for Prosecutor of the ICC is expected to take place at the second resumed session of the 19th Assembly of States Party to the Rome Statute in New York. The Prosecutor is elected to a nine-year term
- The Prosecutor will be elected by absolute majority, with the 123 Members of the Assembly of States Parties to the Rome Statute of the ICC voting by secret ballot (list of States Parties here).
- There are currently three candidates: Judge Fergal Gaynor, nominated by Ireland; Mr Karim Khan QC, nominated by the United Kingdom; and Mr Carlos Castresana Fernández, nominated by Spain.
- States Parties can nominate additional candidates up to Wednesday 10 February at 5pm (GMT).
- Further information is available here: https://asp.icc-cpi.int/en_menus/asp/elections/prosecutor/Pages/Prosecutor2020.aspx