Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

I want to revert to my maiden name – what documents do I need to submit with my passport application?

Document requirements in order to revert to your maiden name when applying for a passport.

If you've been using a married name and want to revert to your maiden name on your passport, you need to apply for a new passport and submit:

  • Your previous passport
  • Your birth certificate
  • A judicial separation court order
  • Separation agreement
  • Divorce decree (or local civil equivalent)

Otherwise, you will need to submit two official documents that show you've been using your maiden name for two years.

All documents listed above should be submitted in their original format. If they are in languages other than English a notarized English translation must accompany the document.