DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/frankfurt. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Consulate General of Ireland, Frankfurt website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Consulate website is now available at Ireland.ie/frankfurt.


The Consulate General does not issue passports.

Irish Citizens looking to renew a passport can apply online. In order to apply online:

  • You must have previously held an Irish passport and your most recent passport must have expired less than 5 years ago.
  • If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged you can use the Online Passport Renewal Service to apply for a replacement.
  • Adults can renew their passports without the need for additional supporting documents or witnesses in many instances. Some categories of application, for example, where a change of name is being requested, require additional supporting documents to be sent to the Passport Service.
  • Child renewal applications (under 18) require the verification of identity and the consent of all guardians before a passport can issue. A signed and witnessed Child Passport Identity and Consent Form must be sent to the Passport Service for all child applications. This form will be made available at the end of the online process. Some categories of application may require additional supporting documents to be sent to the Passport Service. If your child’s passport book has more than 6 months validity remaining at the time of application, you will need to return it to the Passport Service for cancellation.
  • If you wish to change your name on your passport book you can do so via the Online Passport Renewal Service. You will need to provide additional documents to support this type of application which will be detailed early during the online process.
  • The Online Passport Renewal Service is only available for the renewal of a passport. If you are making a first time passport application, you must make a paper application. For further information please see here.

Otherwise, if you are resident in Germany please contact the Irish Embassy in Berlin.