DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/brussels. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Belgium website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/brussels.

Moving to Ireland

A detailed guide on all the practicalities of moving to Ireland, including rights of residence, study, and work, is available from Citizens Information.

Samuel Beckett Bridge, Dublin, Ireland

Departure from Belgium

When leaving Belgium, you are legally required to de-register from the population register. You must return your residence card to your local municipality.

Special Identity Cards issued to civil servants working for an EU or international organisation and seconded national experts must also be returned.

Failure to notify the Belgian authorities of your departure can result in questioning by Border Authorities each time you travel via a Belgian port/airport in the future.

It is advisable to retain proof of returning your residence card.

Police Record Extracts

If you require a Belgian Police criminal record extract for time spent living in Belgium, this can be obtained at the local gemeentehuis /commune where you are registered before returning your residence card.

If you have already left Belgium, you need to apply directly to the Belgian Justice Ministry to request the document. Details of how to do this are available from FOD Justitie (NL) or SPF Justice (FR).

Transport of Pets

For all information pertaining to pet travel for persons travelling on holiday or moving to or from Ireland, please consult the following webpage on the Irish Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine website.

Please note the Embassy has no role in matters related to EU Pet Passports. Queries in relation to obtaining this document should be directed to your vet.


Find out about accessing education in Ireland, including a description of the education system in Ireland and information on Primary, Secondary and Third Level study.

The Department of Education and the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science are the departments of the Irish state with responsibility for education and training.

Working in Ireland

The rights of EU nationals and non-EU nationals for working in Ireland are outlined on the citizens information website.

The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment is the department of the Irish state which has responsibility for supporting the creation of jobs and economic development.

Healthcare in Ireland

Citizens Information provides an outline of available health care services in Ireland, including public and private health care and health insurance.