DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/brasilia. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Brazil website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/brasilia.

New to Brazil?

If you have recently moved to Brazil, it can take some time to adapt to your new surroundings. We have put together some information to help those of you who already live in or intend to move to Brazil.

Whilst every care has been taken in preparing this information as accurately as possible, the Embassy cannot accept any liability for the information contained here.

  • Residency & Entry Requirements
  • Foreigner Identity Card (RNE)
  • Tax Payer Registry (CPF)
  • Driving Licences
  • Useful Information and Websites

Residency & Entry Requirements

Residency & Entry Requirements

If you are travelling to Brazil, it is important to know the requirements for entry to and residence in Brazil, before your travel.

Irish passport holders travelling to Brazil, as a tourist for less than 90 days, do not need a visa to enter Brazil. If you intend to stay for more than 90 days, you should contact the Brazilian Embassy in Dublin.

We recommend that, before you travel to Brazil, you should have at least the following documents:

  • an international certificate of vaccination, if it is required. More details can be found on the website of the Embassy of Brazil in Dublin
  • evidence that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself for the period of this proposed stay;
  • details of accommodation for the duration of your stay;
  • a passport that is valid for at least six months, after your departure from Brazil;
  • a return or onward ticket;
  • if the trip is not for general tourism purposes, then any document with regards to the reason for your travel - e.g. details of a conference which you are attending, a wedding invitation etc. In this case, it is always useful to have the contact name and telephone number of your host or contact person in Brazil.

We also suggest that documents in English should be translated officially into Portuguese in order to facilitate Brazilian immigration authorities.

It is important to note that if you need to extend your length of stay or change your visa status in Brazil, the Brazilian authorities must be notified before the authorised period of stay in Brazil expires. Please find below the contact details for relevant authorities in Brazil for further information on visas:

The information provided is for general guidance only. For further information or specific queries, we advise you to contact the Embassy of Brazil in Dublin.

Foreigner Identity Card (RNE)

Foreigner Identity Card (RNE)

Information on the Foreigner Identity Card and Tax Payer Registry

Foreigner Identity Card (RNE)

Information about applying for a Foreigner Identity Card can be found on the website of the Brazilian Federal Police.

Tax Payer Registry (CPF)

Tax Payer Registry (CPF)

Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica (CPF)

The Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica (CPF) is the national individual taxpayer registration number issued for residents and non-residents.

If you are in Ireland, you can apply for it through the Brazilian Embassy in Dublin, otherwise you must contact Receita Federal (Brazilian Customs and Revenue).

The Receita Federal website also contains general information about taxation in Brazil.

Driving Licences

Irish Driving Licences

An Irish driving licence is not legally acceptable in Brazil. Irish driving licence holders must obtain a Brazilian driving licence by going through the full testing process.

Your nearest DETRAN office can give you further information on the process to get a Brazilian driving licence.

If driving in Brazil temporarily, you may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) in Ireland before departing Ireland. In Ireland, the AA issue IDPs.

Useful Information and Websites

Useful Information

If you have recently moved to Brazil, it can take some time to adapt to your new surroundings. Below are some websites and information that you may find useful:

Useful Websites

Useful Information


The length of stay in Brazil can be up to 90 days, which can be extended to a further 90 days. Tourist stays in Brazil should not exceed 180 days in any 12-month period. More information, on visas and immigration requirements, can be found on the website of the Embassy of Brazil in Dublin.

In the case of a visit for more than 180 days, one must contact the Federal Police.

In case of an overstay of permission to remain in Brazil, there is a fine which needs to be paid when the person leaves Brazil. If the fine is not paid, the person may face serious issues as an illegal immigrant in Brazil and as a tourist wishing to re-enter in the future.

Work in Brazil

For information about work permission, we advise you to contact the Embassy of Brazil in Dublin or the Department of Trade and Employment in Brazil.

Study in Brazil

The Study in Brazil website may be of interest.

Business in Brazil

Enterprise Ireland

Enterprise Ireland (EI) is the government organisation responsible for developing and growing Irish enterprises in world markets. Enterprise Ireland has an office in São Paulo. It also has a network of nine regional offices throughout Ireland and over 30 international locations.

Irish Business Network

The Irish Business Network is intended to support the development of Irish enterprise in the region. The network is by invitation and is open to Irish business people active in Latin American markets and to people associated with the development of Irish business in the region.

How Much Cash Can One Take to Brazil

The Receita Federal website provides information for individuals entering or leaving Brazil. Individuals carrying cash with a value of R$10.000 or more, must make a declaration. Please consult the Receita Federal website for information on other items such as cigars, alcohol etc.

Opening a bank account in Brazil

Each bank has its own requirements. Please contact the bank directly, to find out more information.