DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/brasilia. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Brazil website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/brasilia.

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your Passport or Passport Card has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must submit a new application in order to get a replacement.

Even if you are not applying for a new passport you must still notify the Passport Service immediately if your passport is lost or stolen. Please find our contact details here.

If applying online via the Online Passport Renewal Serviceplease indicate that the passport was lost, stolen or damaged in the relevant section of the application web-page.

If submitting a paper application, submit your application, to the Embassy in Brasilia or the Consulate in Sao Paulo, making sure you complete Section 6 of the application form explaining how your previous passport was lost/stolen or damaged. You must have Section 6 witnessed and stamped as per the instructions on the application form.

The Passport Service recommends that you report loss or theft of your passport to the local police and request a police report, if possible.

Further consular advice can be found here.

Emergency travel while on holiday in Brazil

If your passport is lost or stolen, while you are on holiday in Brazil, you should contact the Embassy to make arrangements for an alternative travel document.

Minimum requirements to apply for an Emergency Travel Document:

  • A completed and suitably witnessed passport application form and four photographs, (two of which must have the application form number written on the reverse and be signed by an approved witness);
  • A written police report confirming the loss/theft/damage of passport. In all cases, Section 6 must be witnessed and stamped by the same person that witnesses Section 9 of the form
  • Evidence of your identity/citizenship. If you do not have alternative photo i.d. with you in Brazil, you will need to ask somebody to bring your original long form birth certificate (and civil marriage certificate in the case of a married woman whose passport name is in her married surname), or an old cancelled passport, to the Passport Office in Dublin or Cork and they will email a copy of it to the Embassy
  • The relevant fee
  • Proof of your return flight to your country of residence
  • confirmation of accommodation booked;
  • Depending on your situation, we may require additional evidence in support of your application including proof of name and address.

Please bear in mind this service is not available outside of office hours except in case of emergency. Given the distances between Brasília and other cities in Brazil, it generally takes at least 5 working days to obtain an emergency travel document by post. You may need to arrange a new flight to allow you time to obtain a travel document.