Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Application requirements for Non-EEA Family members of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens seeking to apply under Directive 2004/38/EC (Free Movement Directive)

If you wish to apply for a visa as a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen exercising or planning to exercise their free movement rights under Directive 2004/38/EC the appropriate visa type is a Short Stay Visa.

In the event that your visa application is approved, you will be issued with a single journey short-stay ‘C’ category visa, which will permit you to enter and reside in the State for up to 90 days.

If you wish to proceed with your application under the Directive, you must apply (when in the State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a Union citizen within 90 days of arrival. 

For further details on visa application requirements see: