Skip to main content

Lost or Stolen Passports

Passport lost or stolen - Resident in France

If you are resident in France and your passport has been stolen or lost, you must follow the following steps:

1. Immediately report the loss or theft to your nearest police station and obtain a police report.

2. Apply online or to the Embassy of Ireland, Paris for a new passport. For general advice, please see our step-by-step guide on how to apply for a passport.

If applying online via the Online Passport Renewal Service, please indicate that the passport was lost, stolen or damaged in the relevant section of the application web-page.

All applicants must include:

  • A completed and witnessed APS2 application form
  • 4 Passport Photographs
  • Previous passport if you have had one
  • Original long form birth certificate. This must be included for all under 18s and for adults if you have lost your passport, or if applying for your first passport.
  • Civil Marriage Certificate (if you are changing your name)
  • Please complete Section 6 of the application form explaining how your previous passport was lost, stolen or damaged. You must have Section 6 witnessed and stamped as per the instructions on the application form.

With a view to preventing identity theft and the circulation of falsified passports, there are additional safeguards for the passport application procedure for those adults seeking to replace a lost or stolen passport. If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must also supply the following documents:

  • Additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence; work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.
  • Evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship, where applicable
  • Documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc. and
  • Evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.