How to get your passport application witnessed
Witnessing in Greece
Identification (Section 9 of your application form)
Consent of parents/guardians (Section 7 of your application form)
Lost, stolen or damaged passports (Section 6 of your application form)
A member of one of the professions listed below can witness your passport application form as long as they are satisfied as to your identify and that your four photos are a true likeness of you. Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the witness may ask you for more proof of identification - this is at their discretion.
- Police officer
- School principal/vice principal / Teacher, School Secretary, Pre-school manager, Montessori teacher
- Member of clergy
- Medical doctor
- Bank manager/assistant bank manager or Credit Union Manager or Assistant Manager
- Elected public representative
- Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
- Peace commissioner
- Speech Therapist
- Chartered Engineer
- Sign Section 8 of the form in the presence of the witness. Everyone aged seven and over must sign their own form.
The witness must:
- Complete Section 9 of the form, including a work landline phone number - mobile phone numbers will not be accepted
- Insert the form number from Section 9 on the back of two of your four photos
- Sign and stamp the back of those two photos
Your application form is only valid for six months from the date your witness signs Section 9.
This is an additional requirement for children. Everyone under the age of 18 must have the consent of their parents/guardians to get a passport and this consent must be witnessed.
The only exception to this is if the child is married.
- Fill in and sign the relevant part of Section 7 of the passport application form in the presence of a listed witness
- This is the same witness list as the Section 9 identification requirement.
- The witness to the consent must be from the list of professions given at top of page and the witness must know you personally or professionally (or you may be identified to them by someone else whom you both know).
- Find out what to do if both parents/guardians are unable to sign Section 7
The witness must:
- Complete, sign and stamp Section 7, including a work landline telephone number - mobile telephone numbers are not acceptable
- Sign each column separately if they witness both parents/guardians' signatures
If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must:
- Complete Section 6 of the application form, explaining how your previous passport was lost, stolen or damaged
- Have it witnessed and stamped by a police officer and have the same police officer witness Section 9 of your application
If you lose two or more passports, it may restrict the period of validity for your next passport and it may delay the processing of your new passport.