The Embassy’s History
Ireland and India recognised each other in 1947, upon Indian independence. India opened an embassy in Ireland in 1951, and Ireland opened an Embassy in India in 1964. The Embassy celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 2014. Since December 2012, the Embassy has been located in C-17 Malcha Marg, in the diplomatic enclave of Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. It had previously been located in Lodi Road and Jor Bagh.
There have been thirteen Ambassadors since 1964 as follows:
The embassy has strengthened its services and staffing, and expanded its geographical reach, over the decades. There are now four diplomatic officers, three Visa attaché’s, all of whom are ably supported by several local staff. The Embassy also has Honorary Consulates in Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai. The Embassy is also accredited to Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives.