Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Consent for Children

One of the child’s legal guardians under Irish law must be present in India in order to apply for an Irish passport.

Both parents cannot give their consent from Ireland or another country. A parent may be required to submit a photocopy of their passport to show that they reside in India.

If you live in Ireland and your child lives in India with their other guardian, you can give your consent in Ireland. You need to get the APS2 passport form from your local Garda Station or the Passport Office. You should choose a witness who can be easily contacted during Indian working hours.

If you are separated or divorced from your child’s other parent, you will still need their consent. If they will not consent to a passport application, you must get an Irish court order to dispense with their consent.

Indian court orders or affidavits are not acceptable.