Skip to main content

New to Malta

Although we hope that it is not the case for Malta, it can take some time to adapt to moving to a new county. Therefore we have put together some information to help those of you who already live in or intend to move to Malta. Whilst every care has been taken in preparing this information as accurately as possible, the Embassy cannot accept liability for the information contained here.

Living and Working in Malta

This information is aimed at Irish citizens who reside in or intend to reside in Malta. If you are travelling to Malta on a short-term basis (for less than 3 months), please consult our travel advice.

Emergency and Useful Information

Emergency Number: 112
Ambulance: 196
Police: 21 221 11
Overseas Operator: 1152
Mater Dei Hospital: 25450000

The Residence Permit

All EU nationals have the right to live in Malta through the 'right of residence'. This right is held whether the individual is working in Malta or not working but has sufficient financial support without relying on public funds. EU nationals do not require a visa to enter Malta. On arrival in Malta, the passport or national identity card is checked for validity by the immigration office.

EU nationals are automatically allowed to remain indefinitely on proof of self-sufficiency. If a person wishes to stay here for longer than three months, he/she is required to apply for an extension of stay to the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. Normally, such requests are acceded to provided that the person concerned can show that he/she is self-sufficient (amongst other conditions).

Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs
3, Castille Place
Valetta CMR 02
TEL: +356 22001800
FAX: +356 22001830

Working in Malta

EU nationals that would like to work in Malta do not require an employment licence but we recommend that they contact the EURES advisors in order to discuss any requirements that there might be. You can either send an email on: or call the free-phone number 8007 6505. You can also chat to Maltese advisors online via the EURES portal -

You can access job opportunities through the Employment and Training Corporation site. It contains an online vacancy database that can be searched by industry, occupation and region. A number of private employment agencies are available too and an updated list of such vacancies can be downloaded from the ETC website Links section. You can also consult the job offers in weekly newspapers.

Tax in Malta

As a resident in Malta, you may be liable for Maltese taxes. The Embassy of Ireland is not in a position to advise on tax matters. General information may be found on the following websites:

Social Security and Health Care

Health information for Irish nationals travelling overseas can be found on Citizens Information.

If you are employed in Malta, you will normally be subject to Maltese Social Security legislation and be liable to pay contributions to the Maltese schemes for pensions, sickness (including health care) and unemployment. Further information on the Maltese Social Security system is available on the website.


The availability of rental property varies from one locality to another and tends to be more widespread in the traditional tourist areas. Landlords advertise properties in the local press. Houses or apartments can also be rented via estate agents.

The Education System

Parents can opt to send their children to State, Church or Private Schools. Primary and Secondary Government Schools are found in all the main regions of Malta.

The education system is split into three main sectors: Primary Education, which extends from age five to eleven, Secondary Education from age eleven to sixteen, and Tertiary Education. Education is compulsory from age five to sixteen.

Further education is provided in schools offering both vocational and pre-university courses. The University of Malta is the only university on the island.

Lists of Government, Church and Private Schools can be found on the following website.

Advice to emigrants

Cross Care Migrant Project also provide advice to emigrants.

It is recommended that anyone intending to move to Malta does as much research as possible.