How to Apply for a Passport
Irish citizens who have previously held an Irish Passport can now apply for their Passport Book and/or Card online.
You cannot apply online if you have already submitted a paper application.
If you are resident outside Ireland and do not qualify or wish to use the online system, you need to use an APS2 application form.
If you are living in West Africa you need to use an original APS2 application form. As each application form has an individual reference number, photocopied and scanned forms will not be accepted.
APS2 forms are available:
From the Embassy
From the Honorary Consulate in Lagos.
For those living outside Nigeria only, by sending us a pre-paid DHL envelope - contact +234 (0) 94620611 to make arrangements.
Please see the detailed Documentary Requirements for Passport Applications page from the Passport Service.
Please see the detailed How to get your application witnessed page from the Passport Service.
Please see the detailed Passport Fees page on the main DFA.ie website.
Fees vary from month to month based on the Embassy's Euro/Naira exchange rate and are based on the local currency equivalent of:
- Adult passport 10-year validity €95
- Large Adult passport (additional pages) 10-year validity €125
- Minor, age 0-17, 5 year passport €45
- Emergency travel document €30
- Certification fee €40.
The Embassy does not provide a photocopying service. Please ensure to bring photocopies of all your documents with you.
Submitting your application
If you are living in Nigeria:
- The Passport Office at the Embassy of Ireland in Abuja is open on Wednesdays from 2 - 4pm and on Thursdays from 10am to 12pm. You can lodge your application at these times. Outside of these times you can ring us on 09 462 0611 for information on how to apply.
- The Honorary Consulate in Lagos is open from 9am to 2pm Monday to Friday.
- For all applications from Nigeria, we require you to come in person to the Embassy with your witness and, if the passport is for an Irish child, to bring that child with you.
If you are living in Ghana:
- Contact +234 244 237 098 for instructions. The application must be submitted in person.
If you are living in Senegal or elsewhere in West Africa:
Contact us on +234 9 462 0611 for instructions. You will be required to send us a DHL pre-paid courier envelope so that we can send you the application form.