Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

What do I do if I cannot find the original of my birth/ marriage certificate?

For fraud prevention purposes, we insist that all applicants submit the originals of their birth and marriage certificates. We do not accept laminated, certified or photocopies of these documents.

If born/married in Ireland contact:

General Register Office,
Joyce House, 
8-11 Lombard Street East,
Dublin 2,
D02 Y729.
Tel:+353 1 635 40 00 


If born/married in Northern Ireland:

General Register Office for Northern Ireland,
Oxford House,
49-55 Chichester Street,
BT1 4HL.
Tel: 0300 200 7890 
(028 9151 3101 if calling from outside Northern Ireland)

If you were born outside of Ireland and Northern Ireland, please contact the relevant registrar authorities for the country of your birth/ marriage.