The Embassy’s History
The history of the Irish Embassy in Singapore
In 1974, Ireland and Singapore established diplomatic ties. Ireland established a resident embassy in Singapore in 2000, and ever since, the embassy and Enterprise Ireland office have shared space in the Liat Towers Building on Orchard Road. In the same Ireland House office, IDA Ireland first opened its doors in 2011. Ireland House added to its growth in 2016 by installing a Bord Bia office.
The establishment of the embassy in Singapore followed the opening of the Irish embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Ireland’s first resident embassy in Southeast Asia. The decision was taken in respect of Ireland and Singapore’s close historical links, particularly in the field of education, and our potential to grow our strong bilateral relations through increased trade.
Irish Ambassadors to Singapore
- H.E. Sarah McGrath 2022 - present
- H.E. Pat Bourne: 2019 - 2022
- H.E. Geoffrey Keating: 2014- 2018
- H.E. Joe Hayes: 2010 - 2014
- H.E. Richard O’Brien: 2006 - 2010
- H.E. Hugh Swift: 2002 - 2006
- H.E. Brendan Lyons: 2000 - 2002