Skip to main content

Marriage & Civil Partnership Abroad

Each country has its own requirements governing marriage and civil partnerships. If you plan to get married or enter a civil partnership outside of Ireland, you should contact the civil registration office in your country of marriage to get more information.

If you are an Irish citizen currently resident in Singapore, Philippines, Brunei or Timor-Leste, you will need to send your completed application and supporting documents to the Embassy in Singapore, or the Honorary Consulate in Manila (for residents of the Philippines only).

Find out how to begin your online application. 

Online questionnaire

To apply for a Certificate of Freedom to Marry, you must complete an online questionnaire about yourself and your upcoming marriage.

Statutory Declaration

Based on this questionnaire, you’ll be presented with one or more Statutory Declarations to complete and a checklist of supporting documentation you'll need to submit with your application.

You need to:

  1. Print and sign your questionnaire
  2. Print out a copy of each Statutory Declaration
  3. Print out your checklist
  4. Make the online payment
  5. Complete the Declarations and have them witnessed
  6. Post them to us with your supporting documentation and signed questionnaire.


Print off or save each form right after your online questionnaire, as you won't be able to retrieve them later.

When to apply

Submit your application at least four months before the date of your marriage. Your witnessed statutory declaration(s) cannot be dated more than six months before the date we receive your application.


Your application is not complete until we get hard copies of your questionnaire, statutory declaration(s), and all supporting documentation.

Your checklist will tell you exactly what supporting documentation you'll need for your application, which may include:

  • Your original long-form birth certificate
  • A court order, if you are under 18 years
  • Marriage and Death certificate of your previous spouse, if widowed
  • Petition and final decree of your divorce, if divorced
  • A photocopy of your current Irish passport
  • Your original naturalisation certification, if naturalised

Translating your documents

You'll need to submit certified translations of any of these documents, if the originals are in a language other than English or Irish.

Getting replacement documents

We need original documents (except for the photocopy of your passport) to process your application.

Getting your documents back

We will return all your original documents to you after we inspect them.


If you haven't included all the necessary documents, your application will be returned to you.

Your statutory declaration must be witnessed before you can submit it.

Who can be a witness?

Your witness must:

  • Know you personally
  • Know a third party personally who can identify you
  • Be able to verify your identity through your official documents (e.g. a passport)

Applying in Ireland

Your witness can be:

  • A notary public
  • A Commissioner for Oaths
  • A solicitor

Applying abroad

Your witness can be:

  • A diplomatic or consular officer of Ireland
  • A notary public
  • A Commissioner for Oaths or someone authorised to administer oaths or declarations

Your witness needs to:

  • Witness you completing and signing your Statutory Declaration(s)
  • Complete and sign the relevant part of your Statutory Declaration(s)


It’s against the law to make a Statutory Declaration that you know is false or misleading in any way.


Certificate de Coutume (Certificate of Freedom to Marry): SGD $100 / PHP 3,600

Late Fees

Applications submitted 28 days or less before the date of intended marriage will incur an additional fee of SGD $100 / PHP 3,600 per application.

Important Notes regarding payment of fees

Fees must be settled in local currency in the office in which your application is submitted.

Payment by cash is acceptable for applications presented in person at the Embassy in Singapore or at the Honorary Consulate General in Manila. Please do not send cash by post.

You can pay by cheque payable to “Embassy of Ireland” for applications submitted in Singapore, or “Consulate General of Ireland” for applications submitted in Manila.

It is important to provide a full postal return address (not a P.O. Box address) and a contact number for all applications.

If you are not able to collect documents personally, you may arrange collection by your representative. In this case, a letter authorising the person to collect your documents on your behalf should be provided to the Embassy. You may also arrange for a courier to collect your documents; however you do so at your own risk.

The Embassy cannot accept responsibility for any documents or items lost in transit.

Residents of Singapore, Brunei and Timor-Leste should apply at:

Embassy of Ireland

541 Orchard Road

Liat Towers, 8th Floor

Singapore 238881

Contact Us if you have a specific query or require further information.


Residents of the Philippines should apply at:

Honorary Consulate General of Ireland

3/F Max's Bldg. 70 Jupiter St.

Bel-Air 1, Makati City

1209 Philippines

Tel: +63 2 896-4468

Fax: +63 2 897-8534