Subject to the agreement of host authorities, the Embassy of Ireland in Spain is seeking to appoint a new Honorary Consul for the region of Málaga.
The Embassy of Ireland in Spain works to promote and protect Irish interests in Spain, including working with the Irish community, promoting Irish economic interests, providing consular support and services to our citizens abroad, and working to develop the strong partnership between our governments.
The Honorary Consul will provide consular assistance and services to Irish citizens in their area of accreditation. They will also assist and support the Embassy in the broader development of economic, business and cultural relations with Málaga.
The role of an Honorary Consul is by definition honorary. It is not salaried and does not have pension entitlements. Potential candidates must be legal residents in the region of appointment. Candidates must be fluent in both English and Spanish. They must be in a position to provide suitable premises for the Consulate (more details can be provided upon request). Honorary Consuls receive an annual honorarium of €1,125, communication costs associated with the Honorary Consul position, and retain 50% of Consular fees received (up to certain limits).
The following categories of person cannot be considered for the role:
- Individuals who currently occupy a public or government position, including high-ranking civil servants in Central, Regional or Local Administrations, Members of Parliament, Government Delegates or Deputy Delegates, Presidents of Provincial Councils, Provincial Councillors, Mayors and other members of Local Corporations
- Those who may be unable to deliver consular services during opening hours due to other commitments
- Anyone who is politically active
- Persons with a real, apparent or potential conflict of interest
Queries about the positions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any eventual appointments will be subject to the agreement of the relevant host authorities.
- Fluent in both English and Spanish
- Resident in the Málaga region
- Availability to provide consular services during weekdays
- Ability to provide suitable premises
- Able to provide service from an office in the administrative capital of the Consular region
- Familiarity with Irish and Spanish administrative systems
- Involvement with the Irish community in the region
How to apply:
Expressions of interest, together with a CV, should be sent to the Embassy at email@example.com with the subject line “Honorary Consul Expression of Interest – Málaga”.
Expressions of interest must be received before 17:00 hrs (Central European Standard Time) on 03 February 2023
Please consult the full Expressions of Interest Notice in relation to this position, which is included below.
The Embassy of Ireland is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.