Vacancy: Full-Time Consular Assistant (temporary) at Embassy of Ireland, Madrid
ARCHIVED - APPLICATION NOW CLOSED.
The Embassy of Ireland Madrid is currently recruiting for the full-time, temporary post of Consular Assistant, commencing in June 2016. This post will last for a 12-month period only and carries no entitlement to civil servant status.
Salary per year: €29,359.40 (gross)
The Consular Assistant will provide support to the consular team of the Embassy, Ireland’s busiest consular mission overseas. This includes, but is not limited to leading on consular cases, including deaths, arrests, hospitalisations, and general difficulties encountered by Irish citizens in Spain, Andorra and Tunisia. The role will also involve assistance with the Embassy’s passport and visa functions, as well as general administrative tasks. In addition, participation in the Embassy’s rota for the provision of emergency consular assistance outside of office hours is mandatory.
- Bilingual English and Spanish (excellent written and oral communication skills in both languages a necessity)
- Experience of involvement in a customer-service oriented team
- Willingness to take direction and advice and act accordingly
- Prioritisation skills, attention to detail and an ability to juggle various tasks under pressure
- Ability to show compassion and understanding when dealing with Irish citizens in distress
- Familiarity with Spanish and Irish culture and administration, including legal and healthcare systems
- Understanding of the important role of consular services
- Good judgement in delicate and complex situations
Applications should consist of a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) outlining your suitability for the role and the completed application form, which can be requested from Both must be completed in English and submitted by email to: with the subject line “Consular Assistant Application”. By submitting information electronically, parties accept that data may not be fully secure. Parties may alternatively send their submissions by post to:
Consular Assistant Position
Embajada de Irlanda
Paseo de la Castellana, 46 - 4°
Deadline for receipt of applications, whether by email or post, is midnight 31 May 2016. Failure to follow these instructions will render the application ineligible.
Candidates will be short-listed for interview on the basis of information supplied in their application. Interviews will be held at the Embassy of Ireland in Madrid in the days following the application deadline.
The Embassy of Ireland is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity. It is important to note that canvassing will disqualify applicants automatically.