St. Patrick's Day events around Spain 2016
Saint Patrick's Day Celebrations in Spain 2016
1. The traditional St. Patrick's Day parade in Cabo Roig takes place on 17 March ay 17.00. The parade will be preceded by a host of activities and entertainment, kicking off at 12.00 with face painting. bouncy castles and more for all the family. A live show also takes place at 14.30 with dancers, singers and cartoon characters. More information on the events in Cabo Roig can be found within this link.
1. In Barcelona, Tourism Ireland's St. Patrick's Day Masterclass event in Hospitalet de Llobregat will take place on 12 March in conjunction with the sports administration of the town council, Ajuntament de L'Hospitalet and will feature an organised "flashmob" of Irish dancers. The event takes place at 12.00 at Plaça Lluis Companys, Rambla Marina / Av. Carrilet.
2. Irish music group Los Stompers will be performing on 17 March at 19.30 in Dunnes Irish Bar.
3. This year's issue of Estudios Irlandes, the scholarly journal of AEDEI, the Spanish Association for Irish Studies, will be published two days before St. Patrick's Day. It features a wide range of research essays, a section in homage of the late poet and Novel Prize-winner Seamus Heaney, two compelling opinion pieces on issues of ongoing debate by poet Mary O'Malley, and comprehensive reviews of Irish-related bibliography and filmography generated worlddwide in the previous year.
4. As in previous years, Flaherty's Irish Bar Barcelona, Plaza Joaquim Xirau, will also be celebrating St. Patrick's Day.
1. Join the St. Patrick's Day lunch on 20 March at 14.00, Batzoki Abando, Bilbao and check out all the activities taking place in Bilbao and across th Basque Country on the website of the Irish-Basque Friendship Association - Lagun Cara Asociación Vasco-Irlandesa.
1. This year will see once again the Capilla de San Patricio in Pancar illuminated in green in honour of St. Patrick. The medieval tower in Llanes will also "go green" for the occasion. There will be a special mass in the chapel in Pancar on Thursday 17 March at 11am. For more information please see this link.
1. The second ever family-friendly Ireland Day in Madrid will take place on Sunday 14 Match at Parque Deportivo Puerta de Hierro, from 13.00 to 18.00. Everyone is welcome to join for an afternoon filled with the best of Irish sport, music and dance.
2. A historical seminar on the "Irish Diaspora in Madrid (1601-1660)" takes place on 16 March in the Panega Travel Store, Calle Principe Vergara, 26, Madrid (Metro Velazquez)
3. This year's SIBN St. Patrick's Day Charity Ball in aid of Asociación Sindrome Williams España and Williams Syndrome Association Ireland will take place on 18 March at the Hotel Westin Palace. The last tickets are still available by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
4. An historical walking tour on "la comunidad irlandesa en el Madrid de los Austrias" takes place on 19 March at 11.30. The meeting point is at Plaza de Isabel II, Metro Opera. It is necessary to book your place, so don't miss out!
5. The traditional Irish group Púca Óg will be playing at the Seachtain na Gaeilge at the Esculela Oficial de Idomas on Calle Jesús Maestro s/n Madrid, on 17 March at 19.00.
6. Outside the city, come along to celebrate St. Patrick's DAy with ASEDOW in San Sebastian de los Reyes.
7. If you fancy learning a few steps of traditional Irish and English set dancing, feel free to sign up to this workshop on Saturday 12 March at the Centro Cultural Antonio Machado.
1. The Stolen Gnomes, a 6 piece Celtic fusión band, will be playing various gigs around the Málaga/Marbella region.
1. The St Patrick's Festival in Santa Ponsa will take place on March 20. Plans for the day include market stalls, marching bands, as well as a cavalcade of classic cars and Harley Davidson motorbikes, commercial cars and vans. Colourful dancers from around the world will also join the parade.
1. Marbella joins in the St. Patrick's Day celebrations with lots of activities in the area. On the terraces over Marbella Marina on 19 & 20 March there will be a St. Patrick's Day Festival. Benalmadena will be hosting festivities on Thursday 17 March.
2. There will be a mass in the church of San Patricio in Málaga on Thursday 17 March at 11am. There is a Georgian choir and the Mass will end with 'Hail Glorious Saint Patrick'.
1. The Terra Natura Water Park will be celebrating St. Patrick's Day from 17-20 March.
1. The Colegio Carlos I in Sevilla will be enjoying a week-long celebration of St.Patrick with teachers and students participating in the many different activities organised.
The Canary Islands
1. On 17 March at 18.00 a ceremony takes place at the Convento de San Francisco, in the main street of Adeje. A statue of Saint Patrick will be carried to the Santa Úrsula Church to the strains of the Irish National Anthem, where there will be a mass in English and Spanish. The ceremony and mass will be followed by a fun buffet dinner, music and dance in the Costa Adeje for Tourism Development. For more information and reservations for the dinner, please call the Adeje cultural centre (922 75 62 46 ext 4322) 9.00-13.00 and Noelle, 633 399 827 or Martina, 626 194 926 (from 14.00-18.00). Tickets can also be reserved by e-mailing, email@example.com.
2. For the second year in a row the award-winning Plaza de España in Adeje town will 'go green', joining the international "Greening" of monuments in honour of St. Patrick.
3. In Santa Cruz de la Palma for the evening of Thursday 17 a "historical walk" in the town will be organised, which has been named "La Ruta de Los Irlandeses". It will pass by the houses of the principal personalities of the Irish colony of the late 18th century, when Dennis O'Daly was elected to head the Island Council (Cabildo). O'Daly was a merchant,w ho with his colleagues, were the first government officials to be elected by the general census, in 1766. There will also be a street party with a "pregón" organised by the Ayuntamiento and live music for entertainment on Saturday 19 March. For an interesting read on how the locals have adopted the celebration please click this link.
4. In Playa del Inglés, you can join in the 12th St. Patrick's Day party with the Irish Centre on Thursday 17 March, on the pedestrian street by Green Field.
1. Ireland will be the "país invitado" for the 2016 Festival de Cine de Zaragoza and they have put together a special programme entitled the Jornadas de Cultura Irlandesa 19 Feb - 18 March for your enjoyment.
Tourism Ireland's Teacher's Competition
Tourism Ireland are running a special online teacher's competition Concurso de San Patricio para profesores on their website that invites English language teachers to bring Ireland into the classroom during the month of March to be in with a chance of winning a trip to Ireland to attend an English language course with Emerald Cultural Institute or International House Belfast. Teachers must register their entry on the website and then follow the instructions