Cultural events in Spain autumn 2019
Event10 October 2019
- The Borralleras Tertulia group at the Ateneu de Barcelona have organised a discussion on "The Irish Revolution 1916 - 1921" which will take place on Thursday 10 October at 4pm and is open to the general public. Irish singer Sinead Savage will perform at the opening session.
- The Centro de Arte Contemporáneo de Málaga will host Irish artist Sean Scully’s exhibition entitled Eleuthera from 15 October 2019 – 19 January 2020. For more information please consult their webpage
- Tá an Pop-up Gaeltacht ag teacht arís go Madrid! Ciorcal Comhrá i Madrid will be organising their Pop-up Gaeltacht on Saturday 19 October at 19.00 in Café Universal in Parque Berlin. All are welcome along, from fluent speakers, those with a cúpla focal or just an interest in Gaeilge! Tá fáilte roimh chách-cainteoirí líofa, daoine atá cúpla focal nó daoine a bhfuil suim acu i Gaeilge.
- The 16th edition of the Cáceres Irish Fleadh will take place from 25-27 October. It promises to be a fantastic weekend of music and dance to be enjoyed by everyone. You can check out the line up on their webpage.
- The Irish Arts Festival Sitges Live ´19 will kick off on October 24 and will continue over the weekend until Sunday 27th. The festival has gathered together a wonderful programme for your enjoyment over the weekend.
- The Bloomsday Society in Madrid will have their monthly meet up on Wednesday October 30 in the Ateneo de Madrid at 7pm and would welcome any readers and musicians that might be interested in joining the group. If so, you may contact them at email@example.com.
- The Communications Workers’ Union Band from Dublin will be performing a programme of band music in Hotel EXE Sevilla Macarena on Wednesday October 30 at 20.00. It is a free event and all are welcome along. The band are also interested in meeting up informally with local musicians interested in traditional Irish music during their visit, so anyone who might be living in Seville or travelling in the area can contact the band at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you haven’t visited the Eamonn Doyle exhibition in the Fundación Mapfre in Madrid, you can still catch it there as it runs until 26 January 2020.
- The Loco por Lorca concert be taking place in the Centro Federico García Lorca in Granada on Thursday 7 November. The event is a joint Hispano-Irish evening of poetry and music to celebrate the 120th anniversary of Federico García Lorca’s birth, consisting of five García Lorca poems newly translated into English and Irish, read by poets and accompanied by musicians with traditional music including newly composed music enhanced by screened images.
- An exhibition featuring the work of Dutch/Irish artist Trudi van der Elsen and the French composer Pierre Élie Mamou entitled XR-Extended Reality will open in Las Cuevas de Hércules, Toledo, on the 8 November. It will run until 1 December 2019. The exhibition will be opened by the composer José Luis Greco.
- The Chamber Hall of the Auditorio Nacional in Madrid will host a concert presented by Fabián Panisello's PluralEnsemble titled Schönberg and Music in Ireland in the XXI Century, on the evening of Tuesday 12th November 2019. The Irish works selected for the programme by Fabián, in collaboration with the contemporary Music Centre in Dublin ( www.cmc.ie ), are as follows: Jane O’Leary - 'Between Two Waves of the Sea', Deirdre Gribbin - 'To Bather Her Body in Whiteness', Garth Knox - 'Wild Animals', Kevin O’Connell - 'Little Overture' and Ed Bennett - 'Strange Friction'. More details can be found at a later date on their website.
- A folio from one of the most important medieval manuscript in Trinity College Dublin’s Irish language collections, the 12th Century Book of Leinster, will be given on loan to an exhibition entitled Galicia, un relato no mundo (Galicia, a story in the world) in the Museo Centro Gaiás in Santiago de Compostela. The exhibition will run from 14 November to 12 April 2020.
- This year's Run in the Dark is taking place on the 13 November at 20.00. It can be completed as a solo runner or in a team. More details and sign ups can be found at https://runinthedark.niftyentries.com/Run-In-The-Dark-Madrid.
- Track Dogs will be launching their new album Fire on the Rail in Sala El Intruso Madrid, on Saturday 16 November. They will also be on La Ser (A Vivir) on November 9 and with Santi Alcanda (Radio 3) on November 13.