Skip to main content

Residency and Entry Requirements

If you have recently moved to Spain and require your Certificate of Registration, we have put together some useful information on the application process.

Residency and Entry Requirements

In compliance with Royal Decree 240/2007, EU citizens residing in Spain will no longer be issued with residence cards. EU citizens who wish to reside in Spain for less than three months do not need to apply for a registration certificate. Only those who want to reside in Spain for more than three months have to apply for a Certificate of Registration in the Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreigners Office) or if there is none in your region, at designated police stations. A list of Foreigners Offices is available on the website of the Dependencias. Sitio web de la Policía Nacional España (

In place of a residence card, you will be issued with a certificate stating your name, address, nationality, identity number and date of registration. The certificate serves as confirmation that the registration obligation has been fulfilled, but it is not recognised by the local authorities as a valid form of identification and you are not obliged to keep the certificate with you. As an Irish citizen your passport remains your official form of photo identification.

Changes to the residency regulations

In 2012 the Spanish government introduced new residency requirements for all EU citizens, including Irish nationals.  Under the new rules, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance.

Details on how to apply for a Certificate of Registration, which contains the NIE number, are available on the website of the Spanish Ministry for Inclusion, Social Security and Migration and on the website of the Spanish National Police. The Embassy has also compiled a general guide of top tips when applying for a NIE.


If you are not resident in Spain but need to apply for a NIE number ("número de identificación de extranjeros" - foreigner's ID number) for economic, professional or social interests, it is possible to apply via the Spanish Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.