Fall 2019 and Spring/Summer 2020 Embassy of Ireland Internship Programme
The Embassy of Ireland is pleased to announce the continuation of its unpaid internship programme. The internships offer the successful applicants the opportunity to gain hands-on experience of working in an Embassy, and to make a direct contribution to implementing Irish Foreign Policy. Former interns have gone on to positions in government and a wide variety fields.
Working as part of a busy team, the successful applicants’ duties will include:
- Preparations for cultural and other events, as well as high level visits
- Research on assigned policy topics
- Building an Embassy contacts database
- Expanding the Embassy’s social media outreach
- Drafting reports, speaking points etc
- Other duties that may be assigned from time to time
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Excellent organisation and communication skills
- Ability to organise time, work independently, coordinate and prioritise multiple tasks, follow directions and complete tasks in an effective manner
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications
- An interest in and proficiency in social media
- An interest in Ireland and/or Irish America would be an advantage
The internship is a full-time position, i.e. 40 hours a week. Normal working hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. In addition, interns may be require to provide assistance at events outside of these hours. In exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to work out a more flexible working arrangement, but a minimum of 32 hours a week would be required.
Please note that the Embassy is not in a position to sponsor visa requests. Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the USA.
These internships are available during the Fall, Spring, and Summer Semesters (September-December, January-May, June-August). Interested applicants should send an up to date CV to washingtonembassy[at]dfa[dot]ie detailing their education and experience to date and a brief covering email setting out the reasons why you think you could contribute to the work of the Embassy. The deadlines for receipt of applications are as follows (please mention the internship period you are interested in your covering email):
September-December internship: Monday 12 August 2019January-May internship: Monday 18 November 2019June-August internship: Monday 23 March 2020September-December internship: Monday 10 August 2020
Please note that these internships are UNPAID. There are no paid vacancies at the Embassy at this time.
All data obtained during this process will be held and utilised in accordance with the Irish Data Protection Act 1988 and the Data Protection (Amendment) Act 2003.