Consular Officer, Chicago. Apply by Nov 8th.
Consular Officer at the
Consulate General of Ireland, Chicago
Deadline: 5pm (CST) on Tuesday 8th November 2022
Our mission is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic well-being of Ireland and its people. We do this under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and through our Embassy network abroad.
The Consulate General of Ireland in Chicago is responsible for representing and promoting Ireland in the Midwest region of the USA. Working with the Embassy of Ireland in Washington DC, the Consulate focuses on a wide range of issues including economic, political and cultural work, consular affairs, and engagement with the large Irish and Irish American communities in the Chicago area and the wider Midwest region.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Processing of Visa applications
- Process all visa applications in a timely and efficient manner using the online system of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).
- Maintain accurate data for incoming and issued visa, noting and recording trends in regularly filed reports.
- Assist applicants with accuracy of submitted documentation via email, phone and at the public counter.
- Maintain highly level of organisation with respect to processing, filing and data storage.
Local Team Support
- Assist with consular goals of local staff in passport processing, front office customer service and email/phone enquiries.
- Support local staff with planning and executing high-level visits and events.
- Providing analytical support for Consul General and Vice Consul General as needed.
- Providing assistance on research projects as needed.
- Visa Officer may be asked to represent the Consulate General of Ireland at local events, and the summer Irish community festivals within the Irish and Irish-American community.
- Other office other duties, as assigned by either the Consul General or Vice Consul.
- Engaging in Outreach to the Irish American community as needed.
Essential Requirements candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- High school graduation diploma as a minimum. A third-level qualification (e.g. Bachelor’s degree) and/or a secretarial qualification is also preferred.
- At least three years’ professional experience in an office-based, client or public-facing role.
- A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Outlook, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- A high level of interpersonal and customer service skills, particularly when dealing with members of the public.
- Consistent, professional and personable approach to working in a small office environment, with a focus on reliability, punctuality and attention to detail.
- A high level of discretion with sensitive information and data.
- Flexibility with working hours and an ability to deal with high-pressured situations.
- Highly organised, self-motivated with initiative and flexibility to develop and refine systems for greatest efficiency.
- Commitment, reliability and attention to detail.
- An ability to work independently, as well as within a close knit team.
Terms and conditions of employment:
- The successful candidates will be hired on a fixed-term contractual basis and will be based at Chicago
- Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week, with standard office hours from 9am to 5pm
- Annual Leave entitlement 20 days per annum.
- The salary for the position is $42,416.07 per annum, paid locally on a weekly basis. Salaries are paid direct to a bank account; therefore, the successful candidate must have a bank account.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit the following documents to the Consulate before 5pm CST Tuesday 1 November 2022
- Cover letter (1-page maximum) addressing how the candidate meets the qualifications, requirement and competencies outlined above
- Résumé (2-page maximum)
- Two nominated referees
- Copies of any relevant academic and professional qualifications
Please send applications by email only to email@example.com with the subject line “YOUR NAME – Consular Officer Application”. *
Shortlisted applicants must be available for interview on 10-11 November 2022
*By submitting information electronically, parties accept that data may not be fully secure. Parties may alternatively send their submissions by post to Consulate General of Ireland, 1 East Wacker Drive, Suite 1820, Chicago, IL 60601
Applications must be received before 5pm (Local time) on 1 November 2022
Depending on response rates, the deadline may be extended.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
The successful candidate must have a legal entitlement to live and work in the United States prior to recruitment.
- Depending on the number of applications received, a short-listing of candidates to be called for a competency-based interview may be undertaken based on the Essential/Key Requirements above.
- It is planned that interviews will be held 10-11 November 2022
- A skills test may be included in the recruitment process;
- A second interview may be included in the recruitment process; and
- A panel may be set up depending on the calibre of candidates;
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff
Police security clearance will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Consulate General of Ireland, Chicago is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.