Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Can I get my passport today?

How long will it take for me to get my new passport?

Online renewals (available as of 30 March 2017)

Processing times for online renewals are considerably shorter than for paper based applications and, if eligible, you are encouraged to apply through our Online Passport Application Service. Processing times for line renewals are updated regularly on the Passport Office website. Please note, however, that in addition to processing times, you should allow for postage from Ireland to the United States, which, depending on delivery method, can take 3 to 5 working days.    

Paper-based applications

Due to high levels of demand, the processing time for applications submitted to the Consulate prior to 30 March 2017 is approximately ten weeks in the case of applicants born in Ireland and six months in the case of US citizens with dual Irish citizenship. These processing times are being reduced, however, and, with the introduction of the online renewal system, we aim to ensure that all future paper based applications – whether from Irish born or dual citizens – submitted to the Consulate are processed within ten weeks of our receiving your fully completed application form with all the required supporting documentation.

In cases where a passport is required sooner, please contact the Consulate directly to discuss with a passport officer what options are available to you.

An emergency, temporary passport or emergency travel document may be issued, but only in an emergency situation (the death or serious illness of a family member).

In all other circumstances where a passport is required quickly, applicants must discuss the available options with a Consulate passport officer, so that we can best assist you, and the documentation required for us to do so.

Additional fees will apply to emergency passports or travel documents.