DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/sydney. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Consulate General of Ireland, Sydney website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Consulate website is now available at Ireland.ie/sydney.

I don't have my original birth certificate; what can I do?

For fraud prevention purposes, we insist that all first time applicants and applicants who are seeking to change their name to their married name on their passport submit the originals of their birth and/or marriage certificates.

We do not accept laminated, certified or photocopies of these documents. If you do not have th original certificate, you can apply for a replacement. A fee will apply.

If born/married in Ireland contact:

General Register Office,
Joyce House,
8-11 Lombard Street East,
Dublin 2
D02 Y729

Tel: +353 1 635 40 00
Website: www.groireland.ie

If born/married in Northern Ireland:
General Register Office for Northern Ireland,
Oxford House,
49-55 Chichester Street,

Tel: 0300 200 7890
(028 9151 3101 if calling from outside Northern Ireland)
Website: www.nidirect.gov.uk

If you were born outside of Ireland and Northern Ireland, please contact the relevant registrar authorities for the country of your birth/marriage.

If you are required to produce your certificate urgently and a friend or family member can access it, it is possible to arrange for it to be sighted in the Passport Office in Dublin or Cork. Please contact the Consulate for further details on how this can be facilitated.