Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Passports lost or stolen in Belgium

Learn more about what you should do if your passport is lost or stolen in Belgium, whether you live here or are on holiday.

  • Lost or Stolen on holiday
  • Lost or Stolen -Resident

Lost or Stolen on holiday

1. If your passport is lost or stolen you must immediately report this to your nearest police station and make a report.

A list of police stations for Belgium is available online (enter your postcode in the search box). Most police officers in Belgium will have a decent level of English, so you should be able to communicate in English.

2. You should contact the Embassy or nearest Honorary Consulate to make arrangements for an alternative travel document.

Minimum requirements to apply for an Emergency Travel Document:

  • Your original police report.
  • Two passport photographs (most metro/train strain stations have photo booths).
  • Proof of your flight home.
  • Evidence of your identity/citizenship. If you do not have alternative photo ID with you in Belgium, you will need to ask somebody to bring your original long form birth certificate (and civil marriage certificate in the case of a married woman whose passport name is in her married surname), or an old cancelled passport, to a Garda Station in Ireland and email a copy to the Embassy or your nearest Honorary Consulate.
  • The relevant fee (€30 during working hours, €110 outside of working hours).
  • Depending on your situation, we may require additional evidence in support of your application, including a fully witnessed application form, and additional proof of name and address.

Please bear in mind this service is not available outside of office hours except in cases of emergency, Consult our Opening Hours and Closed Days.

You may need to arrange a new flight and new accommodation to allow you time to obtain a travel document.

The issuing of replacement travel documentation is subject to fraud and security checks, aimed at maintaining the overall integrity of the passport service.

3. If you are in an emergency situation requiring urgent travel (such as the death or serious illness of a family member)

Contact the Embassy, by phoning the Duty Officer on +32 499 585 328 (outside normal working hours only). You will be asked to leave a message on the answering machine. The answering machine is monitored regularly and the Duty Officer at the Embassy will contact you as soon as possible. This is the only continuously monitored way to contact the Embassy outside of office hours.

When you leave a message, clearly state your name, contact telephone number, the nature of the emergency, and where you are now.

Lost or Stolen -Resident

Replace your passport online

Irish citizens (adults and minors) resident in Belgium, whose Irish passport is lost/stolen/damaged, can apply online for a new Passport and/or a Passport Card.

Applying online saves time, costs less and does not require witnessing. For further information or to apply online visit the Passport Online website.

If you are resident in Belgium and your passport has been lost/stolen/damaged and you do not qualify for an online replacement, you must follow the following steps:

1. Immediately report the loss or theft to your nearest police station and make a report.

A list of police stations for Belgium is available. Most police officers in Belgium will have a decent level of English, so you should be able to communicate in English.

2. Apply to the Embassy of Ireland, Brussels for a full new passport. For general advice, please see our step-by-step guide on how to apply for a passport.

All applicants must include:

  • A completed and witnessed APS2 application form.
  • 4 Passport Photographs (2 witnessed)
  • Previous passport if you have had one
  • Original long form birth certificate. This must be included for all under 18s and for adults if you have lost your passport, or if applying for your first passport.
  • Civil Marriage Certificate (if you are changing your name)

With a view to preventing identity theft and the circulation of falsified passports, there are additional safeguards for the passport application procedure for those adults seeking to replace a lost or stolen passport. If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must also supply the following documents:

  • Additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.
  • Evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship, where applicable
  • Documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
  • Evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.