2021 Presidential Distinguished Service Award
Announcement08 July 2021
What is the Presidential Distinguished Service Award for the Irish Abroad?
This Award was established by the Government in 2012. It provides recognition by the Irish State for persons living abroad (primarily Irish citizens, those entitled to Irish citizenship and those of Irish descent), who have given sustained and distinguished service to Ireland and/or Irish communities abroad or on a global or international issue of importance.
Do you know someone who has given sustained and distinguished service in any of these areas?
- Irish Community Support
- Arts, Culture and Sport
- Charitable Works
- Business and Education
- Peace, Reconciliation and Development
- Science, Technology and Innovation
They may be eligible to be nominated for the Presidential Distinguished Service Award if they meet the following criteria:
They have been habitually resident outside the island of Ireland and satisfy the following additional requirements:
- have rendered distinguished service to the nation and/or its reputation abroad;
- have actively and demonstrably contributed to Irelandand/or its international reputation and/or Irish communities abroad in at least one of the areas above;
- have a track record of sustained support and engagement with Ireland and/or its international reputation and/or Irish communities abroad over a period of not less than 5 years;
- have made a sustained and distinguished service on a global or international issue of importance.
How do I nominate someone for the Presidential Distinguished Service Award?
Nominations are submitted through the Embassy of Ireland in the country of residence of the nominee. If you know someone who meets the criteria above, please complete the 2021 Nomination Form and forward it to the relevant Embassy of Ireland for the country the nominee is resident in before Friday, 6 August 2021.