Find out about the Embassy's history, including where we are currently located at 51 Jägerstraße and some of our former Ambassadors.
The first Irish Diplomatic Mission in Germany was established in Berlin in 1929 and was situated in the vicinity of the Tiergarten at No.3 Drakestraße. The building which housed the delegation was destroyed in an air-raid on 22 November 1943. The Embassy in Bonn opened in 1951 and then moved to Berlin in 2000.
History of 51 Jägerstraße
The Irish Embassy has been situated at 51 Jägerstraße since 2009 when it moved from its previous location on Friedrichstraße near the old Checkpoint Charlie. No 51 was built in 1789 and formerly belonged to the Mendelssohn family serving as their home and business premises.
Irish Ambassadors and Heads of Mission to Germany
|Daniel A. Binchy||1929||1932|
|Leo T. McCauley||1932||1933|
|John A. Belton||1951||1955|
|Dr. Thomas Joseph ("Tommy", "T.J.") Kiernan||1955||1956|
|Christopher P (Robin) Fogarty||1976||1983|
|Seán Ó hUiginn||2002||2006|
|Michael Collins||2013||to date|
Learn more about the history of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and our collaboration with the Royal Irish Academy's Documents on Irish Foreign Policy project