Customer Service Officer vacancy, Embassy of Ireland Berlin
* This position has now been filled *
Customer Service Officer (m/f) at the Embassy of Ireland in Berlin
1 year temporary contract, with the possibility of an extension
Deadline for receipt of applications: 4 August 2017
The Irish Embassy in Berlin is recruiting a full time customer services officer to manage its front of house operations. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, enthusiastic individual who enjoys interacting with people, problem solving and a great deal of variety in their work. The position is the first point of contact for all in person, phone and email queries to the Embassy and a friendly, open and constructive attitude is essential. The Embassy is committed to providing high quality, responsive and efficient service to all its customers. The new officer will work as part of a busy consular team and will be required to greet visitors; provide accurate and helpful information by telephone and email; direct callers to the relevant Embassy section; and conduct initial passport application screening. He or she will also provide support to the wider consular team and other sections of the Embassy.
The position will involve on-the-job learning and the successful candidate will have:
- Significant previous experience in a busy customer service role, experience of managing multiple incoming phone calls in a busy reception environment would be ideal;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in German and English. The candidate should be a native speaker of German or English, have a minimum C1-C2 level in the other language, and have some experience of written translation;
- Strong knowledge of, and interest in, Ireland and Irish-German relations;
- A high level of administrative skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel;
- Exceptional interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills;
- A flexible attitude, good judgement and the ability to make a positive contribution to the overall team spirit, as well as to identify, and make, improvements to service delivery;
- The ability to work well under pressure while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail;
- A high level of discretion, commitment and reliability.
Candidates will be short-listed for interview. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted prior to interview. Shortlisted candidates should be available for interview at the embassy in mid to late August. Interviewed candidates will be asked about their professional experience and educational background, suitability for the position, knowledge of Ireland and interest in working at embassy. The selection process will include job simulation questions and an oral and written language assessment. The Embassy does not refund travel expenses.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted in English by email to the following email address: ambofficeberlin[at]dfa[dot]ie or by post to: Botschaft von Irland, Büro des Botschafters, Jägerstr. 51, 10117 Berlin. The email should contain the subject line Customer Service Officer and must be no larger than 15MB. Certificates, degrees and references in German or English do not need to be translated. The application must contain:
- Letter of motivation (1 page max) addressing your suitability for the position and interest in working with the Embassy of Ireland;
- CV/résumé (2 pages max);
- Two nominated referees with contact details;
- Copies of professional references and relevant academic, professional and language qualifications (scanned into one PDF attachment if applying by email).
Starting date: September 2017 (date t.b.c.)
Contract duration: 1 year temporary fixed term contract
Working hours: Full-time (37.5 hours) with occasional additional attendance outside of hours
Salary: €2108 per month (gross) plus 13th month
Annual Leave: 24 days annual leave in a calendar year
Probationary period: 6 months
- Deadline for receipt of applications is 4 August 2017 (end of day);
- Canvassing/lobbying will disqualify;
- The Embassy will not confirm receipt of applications;
- Candidates will be shortlisted for interview;
- The Embassy will only contact shortlisted candidates before the interviews;
- Interviews will take place at the Embassy between mid to late August. Candidates called to interview will have oral and written language assessments to determine that their spoken and written German and English are C1-C2 level or above;
- The successful candidate must have an unlimited right to reside and work in Germany;
- This position carries no entitlement to a permanent position at the Embassy or an established position within the Irish civil service;
- By submitting information electronically, applicants accept that data may not be fully secure. Applicants may alternatively send their submissions by post to: Botschaft von Irland, Büro des Botschafters, Jägerstr. 51, 10117 Berlin;
- Any personal information submitted to the Embassy will only be used for its intended purposes and will be destroyed when no longer needed. Any other processing or disclosure of personal data is not allowed other than in the exceptional circumstances provided for under the Data Protection Acts.
Fri, 01 Dec 2017 14:53:25 GMT