Events and Visits Manager Position
Embassy of Ireland, London
Our mission is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic well-being of Ireland and its people. We do this under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and through our Embassy network abroad.
The Embassy of Ireland, London is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking person with excellent management, communication and interpersonal skills to fill a full-time Events and Visits Manager position.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The precise range of duties will vary over time according to the needs of the Embassy, but will include the following:
- Act as line manager to Events & Visits Officers, to include performance management and development (including training);
- Develop an annual events work plan, in consultation with colleagues across the Embassy;
- Lead a review of the Embassy’s audio-visual capabilities and needs;
- Conduct a review of contacts management for events and implement findings. Oversee the maintenance and updating of a database of Embassy contacts for invitation purposes;
- Identify and implement enhanced sustainability practices in the delivery of Events at the Embassy;
- Oversee the planning, organisation and management of Embassy events, both in-house and externally;
- Plan and organise incoming high-level visits e.g. by Ministers and senior officials;
- Build network of external stakeholders (including sound engineers, production teams, videographers, photographers) to support the delivery of events;
- Liaise with relevant Embassy staff in respect of each event and visit - lead Section, Ambassador’s Office, Communications team, chef, drivers and Administration Section;
- Develop procedures for event review and feedback to ensure events have clear objectives and measures of success (including lessons-learned, event analytics);
- Review arrangements for event accessibility and ensure events are accessible and inclusive for all;
- Coordinate the provision of briefing to the Ambassador’s Office in advance of each event;
- Develop and deliver training to staff volunteers supporting events;
- Management of the Embassy room-booking system;
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Experience of managing staff including performance and development;
- Extensive experience in the Event management/hospitality industry;
- Experience of devising and implementing new processes and procedures;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent ICT skills, including advanced Knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple tasks at the same time;
- Ability to display resilience and remain calm and effective when working on fast-moving, high-pressure events;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as a commitment to maintain the Embassy’s standards of welcome and hospitality;
- Flexibility to perform duties outside of regular working hours. Regular evening work is necessary for this position;
- The candidate must provide evidence of efficiency and effectiveness showing strong organizational, administration and time-management skills, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple tasks;
- The candidate should provide examples of being solutions-oriented, and committed to delivering results, including by adapting approach if necessary;
- All applicants must have a permanent legal right to reside and work in the UK
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- A good understanding of the role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of Ireland;
- Technical skills and experience working with audio-visual equipment;
- Previous experience in a diplomatic mission
- A Diploma in Event Management or Hospitality Management
Terms and conditions of employment:
- The appointment will initially be on the basis of a one year (probationary) contract and upon successful completion of the probationary period, a contract of indefinite duration will be offered.
- Annual Leave entitlement is 20 days per annum.
- The salary for the position is £50,322.19 per annum, paid locally on a weekly basis. Salaries are paid direct to a bank account, therefore, the successful candidate must have a bank account.
How to apply
Completed application forms should be sent via e-mail only to email@example.com
with the subject line Events & Visits Manager
Applications must be received before 16:30 hrs. (Local time) on 20th March 2023
Information in relation to this position is available in the Candidate Booklet below
No applications will be accepted after this deadline. Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- Depending on the number of applications received, a short-listing of candidates to be called for a competency-based interview may be undertaken based on the Essential/Key Requirements above;
- It is planned that interviews will be held early April 2023;
- A skills test may be included in the recruitment process;
- A second interview may be included in the recruitment process; and
- A panel may be set up depending on the calibre of candidates.
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff
Police security clearance will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Embassy of Ireland, London is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.