DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/budapest. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Hungary website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/budapest.

New to Hungary?

Budapest and River Danube, Hungary

Living & Working in Hungary

While you are in Hungary, you are legally obliged to carry some form of official photographic identification with you at all times, such as driving licence or passport, and produce it when asked by an official, e.g. police office. A simple photocopy is not sufficient.

Hungarian laws on the possession and use of drugs are strict.

In case you require legal advice/lawyers, you can search by area, specialty and language.

Residency Requirements:

Irish citizens, as EU nationals, must have a valid passport, and have the right to live and travel in Hungary freely for periods of up to three months without having to register with the Hungarian authorities.

Irish citizens who take a job in Hungary or live in Hungary, need to register with the Hungarian Immigration and Citizenship Bureau. When requesting a residence permit, you may be asked to present documentation showing evidence that you are working, studying or training in Hungary or that you have sufficient financial resources to maintain yourself and any dependents.

For resident permits and other relevant information for new arrivals contact the Office of Immigration and Nationality.

Information about starting a business in Hungary

Useful links:

Universities in Hungary.

There are a number of schools in Budapest which teach through English, both international and with the Hungarian curriculum. A few are listed below, more can be found via an internet search.

Road Safety

If you have consumed any alcohol at all it is illegal to drive.

The use of headlights is compulsory on roads outside towns even in daytime.

Vehicles using Hungarian motorways need to be in possession of a motorway vignette (pre-paid toll ticket). This is obtainable at petrol stations and post offices.

In winter, equip your car for severe conditions, including snow types if necessary.

Theft of and from vehicles does occur.


We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before traveling. You should check any inclusions, and that your policy covers you for the activities you wish to undertake.

For Irish citizens please check details about the European Health Insurance Card.

In the past you may have had an E111, but this is no longer valid. You should obtain a European Health Insurance card (EHIC) before leaving Ireland. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but entitles you to emergency medical treatment on the same terms as Hungarian nationals. You will not be covered for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a non-urgent nature.

Before you travel you are advised to seek medical advice about inoculations and other measures to prevent tick-related medical problems (such as tick-borne encephalitis), especially if you will be visiting forested, grassy or lake-side areas.

You should seek medical advice before traveling and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date.

Advice to emigrants

Cross Care Migrant Project also provide advice to emigrants.

It is recommended that anyone intending to move to Hungary does as much research as possible.