DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/tokyo. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Japan website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/tokyo.

I can't find my original birth/marriage certificate. What can I do?

For fraud prevention purposes, we insist that all applicants submit original certificates only. We do not accept copies, certified or otherwise, of these documents.

You may wish to contact the relevant issuing authority to see if you can get a replacement certificate. The central registrar of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland is the General Register Office (GRO) Ireland and they offer an online application service.