Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

I want my passport to reflect my marriage/civil partnership name - what documents do I need to submit with my passport application?

You will need to apply for a new passport. You can apply online using the Online Renewal Service.

If you are:

Renewing your passport

You need to submit:

  • Your previous passport
  • Your civil marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate

Applying for the first time

You need to submit:

  • Your long-form birth certificate

And whichever of the following is applicable:

  • Your civil marriage certificate
  • Your civil partnership certificate
  • 2 years proof of usage