Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

What documents should I submit with my passport application to get a passport in my new name?

A passport will normally issue in a person's name as it appears on his/her birth certificate. However, a change of name from that which appears on a person's birth certificate is permitted in certain situations. For example, when a person has changed their name following marriage or civil partnership.

You must submit documentary evidence to support any change of name. Please see our summary of additional documents that you will need to submit with your passport application. These documents are required for both online and paper applications.

If you have an existing passport and wish to have your new name noted, you will need to apply for a new passport and submit the required documents with your application. You will also need to return your current/most recent passport.