How to Apply for a Passport
Irish citizens who have previously held an Irish Passport must renew their Passport Book or Passport Card using Passport Online.
First Time Applicants must apply using a paper application form through their local Irish Embassy or Consulate General.
Passport Online is not yet available in your region for first time applicants. You must apply using a paper application form.
If you are resident of Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island and do not qualify for or wish to use the online system, you need to use an APS2 application form.
It is available in Irish (APS2G) and in English (APS2E).
APS2 forms are available:
- By calling to the Consulate during office hours
- Contacting us (include your name and full address in the form) and we will post you the forms
Please see the detailed Documentary Requirements for Passport Applications page from the Passport Service.
Please see the detailed How to get your application witnessed page from the Passport Service.
Please see the detailed Passport Fees page on the main DFA.ie website.
Please note that USD fees for passports are regularly updated to keep in line with the Euro fees charged by the Passport Office in Ireland. Please also note that from 11th April 2011, fees also apply to persons aged 65 and over.
- Standard 10 Year: Available only to those aged 18 years and older: $120*
- Large 10 Year: Available on request to very frequent travellers aged 18 years and older: $150*
- Standard 5 Year: Issued to Children Under 18 years: $65*
- Out of Hours Fees: $90
- Emergency Travel Document (ETC) : Only intended for people who have lost their passport, or who have had their passport stolen, and must urgently travel to Ireland: $35
- Temporary Passport: Restrictions Apply, please see our checklist: $35
- Passport Certification Fee: $45
*Please note postage fees are included in the above amounts and all newly issued passports will be returned via FedEx with an adult signature required.
Incomplete/Incorrect Applications: Please note that all applications received incomplete or incorrect will be returned to the applicant using 1st class US Postal Service, for correction.
The Consulate accepts payments for passports in the form of money orders or certified bank checks/drafts only. We regret we cannot accept payments in cash, personal checks, or credit/debit cards.
Money orders or bank cheques should be made payable to the 'Consulate General of Ireland, Boston.' Incomplete cheques will be returned.
Where to apply
The Consulate General of Ireland, Boston is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10.30am – 1.30pm. The Consulate is closed on Wednesday, except for emergencies.
The Consulate accepts telephone calls daily from 9am – 11am and again from 1:30pm - 3:30pm.
Residents of MA, ME, NH, VT, or RI may submit their completed applications in person during our public hours.
Alternatively, you may post your application to:
The Consulate General of Ireland
535 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
Residents of any other U.S. State or the District of Columbia may lodge their applications with their local consulate or Embassy