Please note that the closing date for applications has been extended to 29 June 2017.
The Embassy of Ireland, Ottawa is currently recruiting for the post of Administrative Assistant, commencing at the end of July 2017. The position is for one year with a probationary period of three months, and with a potential renewal for a second year. This post carries no entitlement to civil servant status.
Salary per year: $43,515 CAD
Interested persons are required to send a letter of application, together with the completed application form and at least two work references, to Michael[dot]Hurley[at]dfa[dot]ie by 29 June 2017. Please identify your email clearly in the subject heading with “application for the post of Administrative Assistant”.
By submitting information electronically, parties accept that data may not be fully secure. Parties may alternatively send their submissions by post, to arrive by the above deadline, to:
Embassy of Ireland
Suite 1105, (11th Floor)
130 Albert St
Ontario, K1P 5G4
Any personal information submitted to us will only be used for its intended purposes and will be destroyed when no longer needed. Any other processing or disclosure of personal data is not allowed other than in the exceptional circumstances provided for under the Data Protection Acts.
Summary of duties:
As a member of a small team, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for a range of tasks, including:
- Day-to-day administrative duties.
- Processing incoming passport applications.
- Timely dispatch of passports to customers.
- Ensuring provisions of high quality customer service to applicants, in liaison with colleagues at the Embassy and Headquarters in Ireland.
Other duties may include:
- Assisting in the planning and organization of Embassy events and initiatives, for example, bilateral cultural initiatives and promotional events.
- Front of office duties to include dealing with visitors to the office and dealing with calls by telephone and email queries.
- Welcoming visitors to the office, as required.
- Provision of information on Ireland.
- Provision of Irish consular services and emergency assistance to Irish citizens (training will be provided – may require some evening and weekend work).
- Other tasks from time to time as assigned by Head of Mission or other Diplomatic officers at the Mission.
- Fluent English, oral and written
- Second level qualification
- Proficiency in computer software packages (Word, Excel, internet, databases)
The Administrative Assistant is a wide-ranging and often fast-paced post that requires core skills including organisational and project management, attention to detail, and a strong customer service ethic.
Key competencies include:
- Aptitude and ability to work collaboratively and flexibly in a small team
- Organisational skills; ability to prioritise
- Ability to work independently and to deadlines, with limited supervision
- Efficient and results-orientated approach
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and advice and act on it.
Conditions of employment:
- Health Certificate
- Required security clearances
- Anybody employed at the Embassy of Ireland in Ottawa is required to be legally resident and have permission to work in Canada.