Skip to main content

Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

What do I do if I cannot find the original of my birth/ marriage certificate?

For fraud prevention purposes, we insist that all applicants submit original certificates only. We do not accept copies, certified, laminated or otherwise, of these documents.

Replacement birth/marriage/death certificates can be ordered from the HSE.  If a birth certificate is unavailable, you may wish to contact the General Register Office (GRO) Ireland for further investigation.