Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

How to get your passport application witnessed

Witnessing in Great Britain

The following information does not apply to online renewal applications.

Identification (Section 9 of your application form)

Consent of parents/guardians (Section 7 of your application form)

Lost, stolen or damaged passports (Section 6 of your application form)


A member of one of the professions listed below can witness your passport application form as long as they are satisfied as to your identify and that your four photos are a true likeness of you. Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the witness may ask you for more proof of identification - this is at their discretion.

  • Member of the Police
  • Member of clergy 
  • Medical doctor 
  • Lawyer/Solicitor 
  • Bank manager/assistant bank manager 
  • Elected public representative 
  • Notary public/ commissioner for oaths 
  • Peace commissioner 
  • School principal/vice principal 
  • Accountant 
  • Teacher 
  • Dentist 
  • Vet 
  • Nurse 
  • Physiotherapist 
  • Speech Therapist 
  • Lecturer 
  • Credit Union manager 
  • Pharmacist 
  • Chartered Engineer 
  • Post Master
  • Social Worker 
  • Justice of the Peace

You must:

  • Sign Section 8 of the form in the presence of the witness. Everyone aged seven and over must sign their own form

The witness must:

  • Complete Section 9 of the form, including a work landline phone number - mobile phone numbers will not be accepted
  • Insert the form number from Section 9 on the back of two of your four photos
  • Sign and stamp the back of those two photos
  • If your witness does not have an official stamp then please ensure they sign and date the back of the photographs and include the 8-digit form number and sign and date Section 9 of the application form. A business card can additionally be enclosed if there is no official stamp available.


Your application form is only valid for six months from the date your witness signs Section 9.

Consent of parents or guardians

This is an additional requirement for children. Everyone under the age of 18 must have the consent of their parents/guardians to get a passport and this consent must be witnessed.

The only exception to this is if the child is married.

Parents/guardians must:

  • Fill in and sign the relevant part of Section 7 of the passport application form in the presence of a listed witness
  • Find out what to do if both parents/guardians are unable to sign Section 7
  • This is the same witness list as the Section 9 identification requirement.

The witness must:

  • Complete, sign and stamp Section 7, including a work landline telephone number - mobile telephone numbers are not acceptable
  • Sign each column separately if they witness both parents/guardians' signatures

Lost/stolen and damaged passports

You can renew your passport online

If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged, and you are submitting a paper application you must:

  • Complete Section 6 of the application form, explaining how your previous passport was lost, stolen or damaged
  • Have it witnessed and stamped by the same person who witnessed Section 9 of your application

If you lose two or more passports, it may restrict the period of validity for your next passport and it may not be possible to receive your passport in the normal processing time.


Do not, under any circumstances, try to travel on a passport that has been reported as lost or stolen.