DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/warsaw. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Poland website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/warsaw.

New to Poland?

Old town, Warsaw, Poland

If you have recently moved to Poland, for either a short or long stay, the following information may be useful.

Living and working in Poland

Before leaving Ireland please consult our current travel advice for Poland and check that you have:

  • Valid passport (we recommend you also keep a copy of your passport close to hand)
  • European Health Insurance card (EHIC) to regularise your entitlement, in the short term, to health services in EU states (apply to your local health board)
  • Private comprehensive medical insurance (EHIC does not cover repatriation to Ireland)
  • Long Form Birth Certificate
  • Adequate funds to maintain you while you establish yourself

Registration in Poland

Irish citizens, as EU nationals, have the right to live, work and travel in Poland freely for periods of up to three months without having to register with the Polish authorities.

However, Irish citizens who plan to spend an extended period in Poland – more than 90 days – are obliged to register with the local voivode office (Urząd Wojewódzki) and have a Certificate of registration of residence of a European Union citizen issued.

When requesting this certificate, you will be asked to present documentation showing evidence that you are working, studying or training in Poland or that you have sufficient economic resources to maintain yourself and any dependants. Contact your local voivode office for further details.

Irish exchange students, with clear intention to leave Poland at a certain date, are not obliged to apply for this certificate.

If you register your residence, you will automatically obtain a PESEL Number [Polish acronym for „Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population”]. If you cannot register your residence, and any public authority requires a PESEL Number from you – submit an application.

Keep in touch with the Embassy

We recommend that Irish citizens travelling or living in Poland register their contact details with the Embassy. This information will allow us to contact you and provide assistance if needed should an unforeseen crisis occur, or if you have a family emergency while you are overseas.

We also suggest that you sign up to the Embassy mailing list for networking and cultural events and news on arrival in Poland.  This can be a good way of meeting people and making contacts.

Irish Students in Poland

The Embassy has developed a Guide for Irish Students in Poland, to assist Irish students coming to study in Poland with a range of useful information. There is a growing number of Irish students undertaking full-time studies in Polish universities in fields such as medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry. A number of short-term exchange students also come to Poland from Irish universities.

The latest Guide is available to download here:

Guide for Irish Students in Poland 2022

Additional support

The Cross Care Migrant Project also provides advice to those moving abroad.

The Samaritans in Ireland, in partnership with the Government of Ireland, have made a Freephone number available specifically for Irish people in Poland. Samaritans provides a 24-hour freephone helpline service for people in Ireland who are in distress, struggling to cope and who are in need of emotional support. Full information is available here: News Archive - Freephone Samaritans service available to Irish people living in Poland - Department of Foreign Affairs (dfa.ie)