DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/london. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that the Embassy of Ireland, Great Britain website has moved and this page is no longer being updated. The Embassy website is now available at Ireland.ie/london.

Working Holiday Authorisations

Working Holiday Authorisations (WHA) are available to young people who are citizens of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan and New Zealand.

These Working Holiday schemes are intended for use by young adults who wish to stay in Ireland for an extended holiday and who may work casually in order to fund their stay. Australian and New Zealand citizens (only) who are currently in the UK can apply through the Irish Visa Office in London.

I am an Australian or New Zealand citizen resident in the UK. How do I apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation?

Complete the application form (Australian/New Zealand) and submit to the Visa Office, Embassy of Ireland with the following supporting documents:

  • Current valid passport and 2 photocopies of the bio data page and UK visa
  • 2 current passport-style photographs with your name on reverse
  • Processing Fee
  • Current Curriculum Vitae (with references) plus 2 photocopies
  • Originals of any qualifications you may have obtained and 2 photocopies
  • Where applicable, letter from school/college and 2 additional photocopies
  • Original (and 2 photocopies) of bank statement showing that you have AUS$2,500/NZ$2,500 and a return ticket or AUS$5,000/NZ$5,000 (or equivalent)

Please note that applications take 4-6 weeks to be processed, and are decided upon in Canberra/Wellington. All supporting documentation submitted with the application must be original.

For information about the current processing fee, please see the Fees tab of our Visas for Ireland guidelines.

Additional information about Working Holiday Authorisations for Australian and New Zealand citizens is available from the Top Visa Questions section of this website.

General information on Working Holiday Visas can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.