How to apply for a Passport
You must be an Irish citizen to get an Irish Passport.
You are automatically an Irish Citizen if you were born in Ireland before 2005 or if you were born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland before 2005.
If you do not fit either of these categories, you will have to establish your claim to Irish citizenship before you apply for an Irish Passport.
This is the fastest and cheapest way to get your first Irish passport or renew your passport. Once you have your photo, it only takes about ten minutes!
You cannot apply online if you have already submitted a paper application.
If you are resident in Great Britain and do not qualify or wish to use the online system, you need to use an APS2 application form.
APS2E forms are available in both Irish and English. You can get a passport form from:
- Your nearest Irish centre in Great Britain
- The Passport Office, 114A Cromwell Road, London, SW7 4ES
- Consulate of Ireland, Edinburgh
- Consulate of Ireland, Cardiff
- Contact us with your address and we will post a form to you