Job Opportunity at the Consulate General of Ireland San Francisco
Job Vacancy26 April 2022
Consular Officer, Clerk Secretary Position
Consulate General of Ireland, San Francisco
The mission of the Department of Foreign Affairs is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic wellbeing of Ireland and its people, under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and our mission network abroad.
The Consulate General of Ireland, San Francisco works to promote and protect Irish interests in the Western United States, through working with the Irish community, promoting Irish economic interests, supporting the strong partnership between Ireland and the states of the Western US, and helping Irish citizens in difficulty.
The Consulate also provides a range of key consular services: processing visa applications; authenticating documents; providing information on travelling to, living and working in Ireland, and much more.
The Consulate General is currently recruiting for a resourceful, proactive and flexible individual to fill the position of Clerk Secretary on our busy team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The precise range of duties will vary over time according to the needs of the Consulate, but will include the following:
- ‘Front of house’ work representation, meeting citizens during Consular public hours;
- Providing excellent customer service at the Consulate’s public office;
- Responding to public queries received by the Consulate over telephone and email;
- Assisting in processing emergency travel documents;
- Other duties as required from time to time and directed by the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission as necessary.
- Providing assistance to Irish citizens, and their families, who are in difficulty;
- Assisting diplomatic staff with event planning and logistics;
- Working with local welfare and emergency partners;
- Providing administrative support to the Mission;
- Working in our webchat function in answering queries from Irish passport applicants;
- Working on the consulate’s communications, both traditional and digital/ social media based and public outreach work;
Essential Requirements candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- at least 12 months relevant professional experience, ideally featuring previous consular work
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and administrative skills
- Work well under pressure
- Previous Office experience of no less than one year
- A flexible approach to the work they are required to do and have a demonstrable work ethic
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent English language skills, both written and verbal
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- All applicants must have a permanent legal right to reside and work in the USA.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with Ireland
- Previous consular work experience in a diplomatic mission
Terms and conditions of employment:
The successful applicant will work alongside all other local employees of the consulate and will report directly to the diplomatic staff in the consulate.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, with standard office hours from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. The gross salary for this role is $50,136.59 per annum along with an entitlement to 20 days annual leave, plus public holidays.
All applicants must have a permanent legal right to reside and work in the USA (US passport/ US birth certificate/ US naturalization/ valid Green Card). As a US citizen/resident, you are personally subject to US social security and self-employment taxes while employed at the Consulate General of Ireland, San Francisco.
If you wish to apply for this position, please email the application form, cover letter, and 2 nominated references to SanFranCGExternalEmail@dfa.ie or send your application by post to One Post Street, Suite 2300, San Francisco, CA 94104, before midnight on Friday 20th May (Deadline Extended from Wednesday, May 11th). Applications received after this time will not be considered.
How to apply
Applicants must complete the application form, include a cover letter referencing the position & have two nominated references
Applications must be submitted by email to SanFranCGExternalEmail@dfa.ie with the subject line: ‘Consular Officer Position’ by midnight on Friday 20th May.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
It is envisaged that interviews for selected candidates will take place shortly.
Candidates will need to be available to begin work in short order.
- Depending on the number of applications received, a short-listing of candidates to be called for a competency-based interview may be undertaken based on the Essential/Key Requirements above.
- It is planned that interviews will be held by video-conference before the end of May 2022.
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff
Police security clearance will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
By submitting information electronically, parties accept that data may not be fully secure. Any personal information submitted to us will only be used for its intended purposes and will be destroyed when no longer needed. Any other processing or disclosure of personal data is not allowed other than in the exceptional circumstances provided for under the Data Protection Acts. The Consulate General of Ireland, San Francisco is committed to a policy of equal opportunity