Latest COVID-19 Travel Advice
News07 March 2022
LAST UPDATED: 07 March 2022 at 15:00pm CST
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) during COVID-19
The rules around travel at this time are subject to change at short notice. Please read this information carefully and continue to check for any updates before your journey.
On this webpage you can find answers to the following questions:
- 1. What are the rules for travel from the US to Ireland?
- 2. What are the rules for travel to the US from Ireland?
- 3. What COVID-19 public health restrictions are currently in place in Ireland?
- 4. Can I renew my Irish passport or apply for my first Irish passport?
- 5. I am in the process of applying for Irish citizenship through the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) process, can I still submit my application?
- 6. Do I require a visa to travel to Ireland and how can I obtain a visa?
- 7. Is the Consulate General of Ireland in Austin open?
- 8. How do I contact the Consulate General of Ireland in Austin?
1. Question: What are the requirements for travelling to Ireland from the US?
From Sunday 6 March 2022, travellers to Ireland are not required to show proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative PCR test result upon arrival. There are no post-arrival testing or quarantine requirements for travellers to Ireland.
Any individual that develops COVID-19 symptoms while in Ireland should follow the HSE guidance in relation to isolation and undertaking antigen or PCR testing as appropriate.
From Sunday 6 March 2022, travellers to Ireland are no longer asked to complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form. Travel carriers will not ask to check a PLF receipt prior to travel to Ireland.
Please check the Irish Government Advice Page for further up-to-date information on COVID 19 travel restrictions. All guidance is subject to change and travellers should check current requirements before travelling.
2. Question: What are the rules for travel from Ireland to the US?
If you have questions on travel to the U.S., you are advised to visit the website of the U.S. Embassy in Dublin for the most up to date information.
3. Question: What COVID-19 public health restrictions are currently in place in Ireland?
Information on the public health measures in place in Ireland right now, can be found here.
4. Question: Can I renew my Irish passport or apply for my first Irish passport?
The Passport Service has introduced an online passport application system for all applicants applying from the US, including first time applicants and renewals.
To find out more information or to apply via Passport Online, please click here.
If you have a general query about the process, or a query about an existing online application, please contact us via Webchat. US WebChat is open from 8:30am- 2:30pm Central Time and 7:30am- 13:30pm Mountain Time, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays), and can be accessed by clicking the “Start Webchat” button on this page: Passport Online - US WebChat
If you are currently located in our consular region and you need an Irish travel document for urgent travel due to a genuine emergency, please call +1.512.792.5500.
5. Question: I am in the process of applying for Irish citizenship through the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) process, can I still submit my application?
The processing of Foreign Birth Registrations or FBRs (through which Irish citizenship can be claimed by persons with a grandparent born on the island of Ireland) has resumed.
Further information on FBR services can be found here.
6. Question: Do I require a visa to travel to Ireland and how can I obtain a visa?
You do not need an entry visa for Ireland if you are a US passport holder.
Further information for applicants in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas City, Arkansas and Louisiana is available here.
Further information for applicants in Colorado and New Mexico is available here.
7. Question: Is the Consulate General of Ireland in Austin open?
The Consulate General of Ireland in Austin is currently operating its public office on an appointment-only basis for Irish citizens seeking consular assistance. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
8. Question: How do I contact the Consulate General of Ireland in Austin?
For general queries, the main phone line (+1.512.792.5500) is open Monday to Friday from 9:30am-12:30pm. Please leave a detailed voice message with your name, your phone number, and the nature of your enquiry. A staff member will then return your call as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can use the Contact Us section of this website.
For emergencies outside of office hours (i.e. a genuine emergency involving an Irish citizen who is seeking consular assistance), please note that you can leave an emergency message on the phone system at any time by contacting the Consulate at +1-512-792-5500. Please leave a detailed voice message with your name, your phone number, and the nature of your enquiry. The on-call duty officer will then return your call as soon as possible.