Lost/Stolen or Damaged Passports
Learn more about what you should do if your passport book and/or your passport card is lost/stolen or damaged in Luxembourg, whether you live here or are on holiday.
If your Passport book and/or your Passport Card is lost or stolen you must immediately report this to your nearest police station and request a police report.
If you wish to apply for a replacement of your lost/stolen or damaged Passport book and/or Passport Card you must use the Online Passport Renewal Service. Detailed information is available here.
If you are in an emergency situation requiring urgent travel (such as the death or serious illness of a close family member) you should contact the Embassy by phoning +352.450610-1 during normal working hours. Depending on the circumstances the Embassy may issue a Temporary Passport valid for your intended travel or an Emergency Travel Document in case you are on holidays in Luxembourg and need to return to your residence abroad.
Minimum requirements to apply for a Temporary Passport or an Emergency Travel Document.
- Your original police report.
- Two passport photographs plus one in digital .jpg format.
- Proof of your flight home.
- Evidence of your identity/citizenship (your civil long form birth certificate and civil marriage certificate in the case of a married woman whose passport name is in her married surname or an old cancelled Irish passport). If you are resident in Ireland and on holidays in Luxembourg and do not have alternative photo ID with you, you will need to ask somebody to bring your original documents to a Garda Station in Ireland and fax a copy to the Embassy.
- The relevant fee.
- Depending on your situation, we may require additional evidence in support of your application, including a fully witnessed application form, and additional proof of name and address.
Please note that you must have previously held an Irish passport to avail of the emergency service. First time applicants are not issued with temporary passports or emergency travel documents. They must make a standard paper application and submit it to this Embassy. Please consult our guidelines for adults and/or children in that case.
Please also bear in mind that this service is not available outside of office hours except in case of emergency. You may need to arrange a new flight to allow you time to obtain a travel document.
Outside office hours
If you are unable to contact the Embassy during normal working hours you will be asked to leave a message on the answering machine. The answering machine is monitored regularly and the Duty Officer at the Embassy will contact you as soon as possible. When you leave a message, remember to state your name, telephone number, the nature of the emergency, and where you are now.