DFA Logo

This content from the
Department of Foreign Affairs
has now moved to Ireland.ie/LostStolenDamagedPassport. If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Skip to main content

Please be advised that this page has moved and this content is no longer being updated. Up-to-date information is now available at Ireland.ie/dfa/passports/lost-stolen-damaged.

Your Passport Book or Passport Card is:

Lost or stolen


If overseas

If your passport is lost, stolen or damaged while you are overseas and you need a travel document to return home, your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate may be able to help.

Lost or stolen

Apply online for a replacement

  • You can report your passport as lost/stolen when you apply for your new passport.
  • Tell us the passport is lost, stolen or damaged in the online application.

Apply by paper application form for a replacement

  • Fill out Section 6 of the application form and explain how your passport was lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Get Section 6 witnessed and stamped.

If you do not intend to apply for a new passport and want to report a lost/stolen passport

  • You will need to report your passport as lost/stolen to the Gardai and submit a Garda certificate of loss along with a letter signed by you, requesting that the passport be marked as lost/stolen.
  • You may be contacted for confirmation that you wish to have the passport marked lost/stolen, and for any outstanding information. You can post this to the address below:
Customer Care
Passport Office Dublin
Knockmaun House
42-47 Lower Mount St
Dublin 2

Important details regarding lost/stolen passports

  • We report the details to Interpol.
  • The passport is no longer valid for travel.
  • If you report a passport as lost or stolen and subsequently locate it, do not travel on it.
  • We recommend you let the Gardai know to protect yourself from identity fraud.
  • We may restrict the validity of your next passport. Losing two or more passports may mean you do not get a full 10 year passport. You may get a new passport valid for somewhere between 1 and 10 years. This will depend on how many passports you have lost or had stolen over the last 10 years.

It may take longer to process the application for your next passport.


  • If your passport has been damaged you will need to return the damaged passport when you are making an application for a replacement. 
  • If your passport is damaged do not travel on it.