Covid-19: Visa Services Update
The Embassy of Ireland in Washington DC accepts visa applications from Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean Islands - Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands, Antilles, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands (US), Virgin Islands (British).
Update on Visa Services - 5 January 2022
We are accepting short and long stay visa application, and preclearance applications.
Full instructions for applying for a visa below; an appointment is not part of our visa application process. Please check that your country is on the list of visa required nationalities
(gold) before applying. If it is the green list, then you do not require a visa.
To apply for a visa, you must:
- Apply online through the Department of Justice, which will automatically request you to submit your documentation to the nearest Embassy.
- Compile your application package, which must include:
- The online summary sheet signed by you, with a valid photo
- Current passport and any previous passports (or copies of previous passports if originals are unavailable). We require your original passport to confirm that we have seen the original before submitting the application through a security clearance.
- All required supporting documents that are listed in the online application.
3. Submit the completed application package and payment to the Embassy (address below), addressed to Visa Officer.
- Please submit the visa fee and postage fee together as a total sum in one form of payment (see below), payable by money order, cashier's cheque or bank draft, and made out to "Department of Foreign Affairs - Ireland." We are not able to accept cash or wire transfers.
Single-entry visa: $81
Multi-entry visa: $136
Transit visa: $36
Shipping (FedEx Overnight)
*In-person pickup at the Embassy is not available at this time.
Payment is accepted by cashier's check, money order, or bank draft payable to: Department of Foreign Affairs - Ireland. Debit cards, credit cards, personal checks, and cash are not accepted.
**Please note that we can only process fully complete applications. The onus is on the applicant to ensure their application is complete with original copies. Any missing documentation may result in longer processing times and potential refusal.**
To ensure that resources can be used to the best effect, we ask applicants to submit their documentation through registered post so that they can track the delivery themselves. Alternatively, if you live nearby, you can drop off your application package in the secure drop box at the front doors of the Embassy. We do not have the manpower to confirm receipt to all applicants. We will only contact you if there is missing documentation from your application and/or when the visa is issued or application is declined.
Normal processing time is about 4 - 6 weeks. We do not offer an expedited service.