Get travel and medical insurance
Before travelling, the Department strongly recommends that you obtain comprehensive travel insurance which will cover all overseas medical costs, including medical repatriation/evacuation, repatriation of remains and legal costs. You should check any exclusions and, in particular, that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake.
We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution.
Because there is no resident Irish Embassy or Consulate in this area, we’re limited in the help we can offer you in an emergency. However, if you need assistance, please contact the Irish Embassy in Canberra, Australia.
EU Directive on Consular Protection
Under the EU Consular Protection Directive, Irish nationals may seek assistance from the Embassy or Consulate of any other EU member state in a country where there is no Irish Embassy or permanent representation.
Our tips for safe travels
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which covers all your intended activities
- Add an alert for your destination within the Travelwise App.
- Register your details with us so that we can contact you quickly in an emergency, such as a natural disaster or a family emergency
- Follow us on twitter @dfatravelwise for the latest travel updates
- Read our Topical ‘Know Before You Go’ guide
Safety and security
Local laws and customs
The Department of Health has advised of the presence of Zika Virus Disease in some of the Pacific Islands. See additional information on the website of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre http://www.hpsc.ie/A-Z/Vectorborne/Zika/
Check with your doctor well in advance of travelling to see if you need any vaccinations for this country.
More travel advice
Because we don’t have an Embassy or Consulate in this country, we can’t give you up-to-date travel advice.
But you can visit these foreign ministries for more detailed information:
- UK: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Canada: Government of Canada
- New Zealand: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Australia: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- USA: Department of State