An independent Audit Committee oversees the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s systems of accountability.
What the Audit Committee does
The Audit Committee provides an independent appraisal of our:
- Risk management and internal control systems
- Audit and evaluation arrangements
It follows up the recommendations from evaluations and audits and sees that they are implemented.
It also reports to the Secretary General and works with the Comptroller and Auditor General.
The Audit Committee publishes an annual report on its work (Download below).
Audit Committee Members
The Audit Committee’s membership have backgrounds in audit, risk management, overseas development assistance, and public administration. The Committee usually meets at least six times a year.
The current members are:
- Mr Jim O'Brien (appointed July 2014 and as Chairman with effect from July 2016) is a retired civil servant, having last worked at Second Secretary General level in the Department of Finance
- Mr Anthony Hegarty (appointed September 2018), retired in 2012, is a Chartered Accountant and is a former Chief Financial Management Officer and Head of the Financial Management Sector Board of the World Bank.
- Ms Emer Daly (appointed March 2012) is a chartered accountant and a company director.
- Ms Mary Sutton (appointed February 2017) is Country Director for the Republic of Ireland at The Atlantic Philanthropies.
Prior to joining Atlantic in 2008 as Program Executive for Aging in the Republic of Ireland, she was an official of the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs where she served as Principal Development Specialist with the Advisory Board for Irish Aid from 2002 to 2008.
- Noeline Blackwell (appointed July 2017) is a solicitor and the CEO of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre.
- Louis Bradley (appointed July 2017) is a retired Chartered Accountant having trained with KPMG (previously Stokes Kennedy Crowley) who worked for some time with UNICEF in New York and also spent time working on development projects in Lesotho including World Bank funded treasury projects.
Download the 2017 Annual Report of the Audit Committee
PDF download of the 2017 Annual Report of the Audit CommitteeDownload PDF (549KB)
Who we are accountable to
Read more about the organisations and bodies we are accountable to for our work and spending.
Read more about our commitment to high standards in our delivery of services.