Launch of Government's new Strategy for the US and Canada
Announcement06 February 2019
The Tánaiste launched the Government's new Strategy for the US and Canada for the period to 2025, under the Global Ireland Initiative, in Washington, D.C. on 6th February. The Strategy will also be officially launched in Canada over the St. Patrick's Day period 2019.This Strategy will see Ireland doubling its impact in both the US and Canada, through investment and engagement; deepening, broadening and securing these hugely important relationships at every level for the future.
Underpinned by strong historical connections, deep people to people links and shared values, Ireland's relationships with the US and with Canada have traditionally been close. This strategy considers what sustains these important relationships and looks forward, outlining the milestones in relation to how Ireland will structure and focus its strategic relationships with both countries over the period of the Global Ireland Initiative to 2025.
Global Ireland: Ireland's Strategy for the US and Canada 2019–2025 is Ireland's first whole-of-Government strategy for the US and Canada. To deliver on the ambition of 'Global Ireland', and the vision for the region, the following five strategic objectives will be pursued:
- Ireland will build strong, strategic political partnerships with the US and Canada and assume a lead role in building stronger transatlantic relations;
- Ireland will build a mutually beneficial two-way economic relationship, approaching 1 trillion USD by 2025;
- Ireland will consolidate, deepen and expand the extraordinary partnership with our diaspora in the US and Canada, doubling the impact of this collaboration in the period to 2025;
- Ireland will double our impact by promoting our culture and nurturing our reputation across the US & Canada;
- A strong Government-led Team Ireland will double its impact over the six years to 2025.
Commenting on the launch of the US and Canada Strategy the Tánaiste said:
"I and my Government colleagues are determined to protect, invest in and develop Ireland's relationship with the US and with Canada for the future. We want these relationships to thrive for the benefit of all of our citizens.
"What's envisaged in this Strategy is nothing less than a step-change in our engagement; and an engagement commensurate with the importance of the relationships, taking account of new geopolitical realities and demographic change.