Message to Newly Qualified Teachers
News26 August 2020
Have you qualified teacher status (QTS) but haven’t completed your induction?
For 2020/21 only you can complete your induction in Ireland.
Due to the challenges presented by the Covid-19 emergency, we anticipate a significant increase in demand for teachers to meet the needs of Irish schools in the coming school year.
Accordingly, on a once-off time-limited basis, teachers who have qualified outside of Ireland can complete their induction in Ireland during the next academic year (2020/2021). The deadline for applications is 30 October. Early application is advised.
Such teachers will be required to complete induction (Droichead - the Teaching Council’s Integrated Professional Induction Framework) in Ireland.
There are eligibility and qualification requirements which must be met by applicants for registration under the amended Regulations and the Council is interested in receiving applications from graduates of university-led, fulltime, Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma in Education programmes only. Other programmes, such as school direct routes, are not eligible under the amended Regulations.
In relation to post primary teaching, graduates with subject specialisms in mathematics, modern foreign languages, physics, chemistry and home economics are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in one area of subject specialism in order to be eligible for registration.
How to apply for registration
- Applications are now open.
- Applications must be made via the CAR-01 (Covid-19 Amended Regulation) application form which can be downloaded from the Council’s website (https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/How-do-I-register-/Qualified-Outside-of-Ireland-Induction-not-Completed-/).
- The closing date for applications and all required documents is 5pm on Friday, 30 October 2020.
- Applications will be limited to teachers who hold qualifications that are deemed comparable to standards of programmes of initial teacher education in Ireland, save for certain requirements which will be applied as conditions to the teacher’s registration.
- Such conditions include the ‘Irish Language Requirement’ for primary teachers and ‘History and Structure of the Irish Education System’ for post-primary teachers.
- Post-primary teachers must also meet the requirements for at least one curricular subject. In instances where requirements for at least one subject are not met, teachers may be granted registration subject to conditions.
- Applications who do not meet the eligibility and qualification requirements will not be eligible to apply for registration under CAR.
- All queries should be directed to email@example.com.
- Registered teachers can seek employment in Ireland through online platforms such as www.educationposts.ie and www.publicjobs.ie (for school leader positions).
- Further information on teaching as a career in Ireland can be found at: https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/teaching-transforms/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/teachingtransforms/
Tomás Ó Ruairc
Director of the Teaching Council